Potato Pone- A oldtime Jamaican dessert
- 2 lbs. Sliced Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 2 oz butter
- 2.5 fluid ounces orange juice
- 2 large eggs, separate egg yokes from whites
- 4 fluid ounces dark rum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Boil the sweet potatoes until tender. Drain water then mash potatoes and add brown sugar and butter. Slowly stir in orange juice, then add the beaten egg yolks and rum to the mix and mix well.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a pie plate. In a small bowl beat the egg whites until stiff then fold into to potato mixture.
- Pour the mix into the greased pie plate and bake for 30 minutes. You will know that the dessert is ready if it is firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.