Well, this is truly a one pot dish. Ackee and callaoo and (Codfish) is usually a great dish. This dish is more from a vegetarian standpoint.
Ackee is Jamaica National Dish. It is still argued whether it is a fruit or vegetable. I count it as a fruit. This is an easy one step dish, that many Jamaicans may use if they don't have any meat, poultry or fish to add.
- 2 cups RICE
- 2 Tbsps. VEGETABLE OIL
- ½ cup onion (chopped)
- 1 can ACKEES IN SALTED WATER
- 2 tsps. white pepper
- 1 can CALLALOO IN SALTED WATER
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 tsp. paprika
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook Rice. Meanwhile, grease casserole dish and set aside.
- Heat Vegetable Oil in a frying pan and saute chopped onions. Add drained Ackees and white pepper. Set aside.
- Spread one layer of cooked rice at the bottom of the greased casserole dish and layer Ackees and Callaloo alternately.
- Cover with the remaining rice. Combine milk and beaten egg and pour over rice. 6. Sprinkle cheese on, and top with paprika.
- Bake until done or a skewer inserted comes out clean