Guava is one of my favorite fruits that I like also like to drink. (I love guava juice). I also love the Jam too. I found this recipe at Caribbean Choice. The combination of the Guava and the chicken has a similar taste to Turkey and Canberry. I used Chicken wings (because it took less time to cook). A very unique combination indeed. It goes well with Rice and Peas.
- 1 stalk escallion, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 1/4 lbs. (3 kg) chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 1 cup guava pulp, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 whole ginger
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup guava juice
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 11/2 tsp. black pepper
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Blend chopped escallion, onion and garlic with vegetable oil.
- Season chicken with blended seasonings and leave to marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Place chicken on a greased baking sheet and put to bake for about 40 minutes.
- To make guava sauce, combine guava pulp, Tomato Ketchup, ginger, sugar, guava juice, water and vinegar then put to boil for 15 minutes.
- After the sauce is reduced to thickness, add Fish and Meat Sauce(Grace makes a good product) then spoon the sauce over chicken.
- Allow chicken to bake for another 10 minutes until tender.
Serve with gungo rice and peas accompanied with buttered carrots and string beans along with a salad of your choice.