For this recipe you can actually use any vegetable you like. I really like this recipe. It makes a nice snack as well. In Jamaica there is such a wide variety to choose from. Generally sweet banana, sweet potato, okra, (or whatever you like ).
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil or 2 tablespoon dried basil
- 6 tablespoon chopped parsely
- Vegetable Oil for frying. (I use Olive Oil)
- Salt to taste. ( I use Lawreys Seasoning salt) just a pinch
- 3 lbs of vegetables (any mixture you want)
Stir the chopped basil and parsley into the batter. Beat the eg whites until they are stiff but not dry. Fold the whites into the batter. Heat the oil in the frying pan.
Dip any choice of vegetables into the batter (let excess run off). Fry the vegetables, a few at a time, until they are golden, for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the vegetables on paper towels. Sprinkle them with a little salt and keep them warm in the oven while you fry the rest. You can serve with some hot sauce for the dipping or some people like ranch dressing.