One wonderful thing about growing up in Jamaica was the wonderful homemade ice cream I ate. Imagine any fruit on the island of Jamaica can be used to flavor ice cream. Sour Sop, Guava, Rum and Raisin (my favorite), Tamarind, Mango (fresh mango pulp used), Papaya, just to name a few.
Now, most Jamaicans just buy the box icecream. Below is a cool recipe to try.
- 2 small Papayas (papaws)
- Rum raisin ice cream
- 4 tablespoons of nutmeg
- Slice Papayas (papaws) in half.
- Scoop out seeds with a spoon.
- Place the 4 halves upright in the center of their own desert plates
- Add a large scope of ice cream in the center of each Papaya (papaw).
- Pour warm caramel over the Ice Cream & around Papaya (papaw).
- Dust with nut meg & serve immediately
- Serves 4