Chinese inhabitants of Jamaica have given Jamaica a new flavor when it comes to cooking. Just as the Indian immigrants have shared their spices, so have the Chinese.
Here is a popular Chinese recipe (very simple) that is eaten in some Jamaican restaurants.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 pkgs. chicken
- 4 sprigs escallion
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp. 5 spice chicken sauce
- *(optional if want to be spicy hot sauce)
- Clean, wash and drain chicken well.
- Chop escallion and garlic. Combine all the other ingredients, mix well and rub on chicken (inside and outside).
- Place in an ovenproof dish or bowl. Roast at 180°C/350°F until golden brown, basting with the liquid in the bowl at regular intervals.
- Cool completely and chop into bite size pieces. Place on a platter, prepare sauce and pour over chicken then serve immediate
*Here is simple way to make the 5 Spice Chicken sauce. (see below)
- In a pot place chicken dripping( liquid from bottom of the roasting pan) and water, bring to a boil.
- Chop escallion, slice carrot and beat ginger, and add to chicken dripping. Continue to boil for 2 minutes.
- Thicken with 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in water.