This is a wonderful dish to eat on a Saturday. It is quick, fun and a favorite in any Jamaican household. Jamaicans love their beans
- 1 lb Smoked ham hocks
- 1 lb Stewing beef cubed
- 2 cups Kidney beans, dried
- 4 quarts Water
- 4 small Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk -- optional
- 1 Onions chopped
- 2 Green onions chopped
- 1 Sprig fresh thyme
- salt, black, and hot pepper to taste
- Soak the ham hocks overnight in fresh water to remove salt
- Combine ham hocks, beef, and kidney bean in boiled water. Cook for 1 hr to 1 1/2 hr or until beans are tender and begin to split open.
- Add the potatoes, coconut milk, onion, thyme and hot pepper.
- Add salt, black pepper, and hot pepper to taste. Stir the soup and allow to simmer for 1 hour.