Subscribe to Time To Eat Mon by Email

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

History of the Scotch Bonnet Pepper

scotch bonnet habanero pepper Pictures, Images and Photos

Scotch Bonnet Pepper is what I term the "essential" spice in most Caribbean dishes. Its hot, aromatic flavor lends a spark to the tongue and brightens up most dishes.

According to Wikipedia- The Scotch Bonnet (Capsicum chinense Jacq.) is a variety of chilli pepper similar to and of the same species as the habanero. A cultivar of the habanero, it is one of the hottest peppers in the world. Found mainly in the Caribbean islands, it is named for its resemblance to a Tam o'shanter. Most Scotch Bonnets have a heat rating of 100,000–350,000 Scoville Units. For comparison most jalapeños have a heat rating of 2,500 to 8,000 on the Scoville scale

The "cousin" of the Scotch Bonnet Pepper is the Habanero pepper. This gives Jerk dishes (pork/chicken) and other Caribbean dishes their unique flavour.

Global Destinations has this excellent Scotch Bonnet Sauce you can make homeade.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil2 onions, diced2 ripe mangoes or pawpaws (papayas), skinned, seeded, and diced to 1/2 inch6 carrots, diced2 cho-cho squashes, peeled and diced12 pimento (allspice) berries10 whole black peppercorns4 thyme sprigs1 ounce ginger root, finely diced1/2 cup sugar8 to 12 Scotch bonnets1/4 cup cane or cider vinegar

more...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do I always look at your blog when I'm hungry and those peppers look really good. :-)

KingT said...

I love the site mon. Tell me do you have anything on how to do up some authentic jerked pork? I know I need the pimento wood but what types of cut of the pig do they use out there. Like at Ossies smoke shack in Negril on Norman Manley. I got there often. Ting is the best pop in the world. sweet site.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I just got back from Jamaica and am now craving Jamaican food. Found some recipes but I can't find scotch bonnet peppers where I live. I'll try to substitute with habeneros. It won't be the same, but maybe close enough. thanks!