I can smell the fresh Hard dough Bread baking in the oven, when I came home from school. The hardough bread is similar to sour dough bread and is quite solid. made in various sizes. It's moist and can be eaten alone of with butter, pate, jelly or any kind of spread. It is very good for sandwiches. It is so nice with some soft butter spread on it (especially when it is warm). I know you will love this recipe.
- 6 cups bread f lour
- 1 pack yeast (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pt warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 ozs shortening
- Milk or egg white for glazing
- Pour flour in warm bowl.
- Add shortening to flour & cut in with knife.
- Add yeast, sugar, and salt
- Add warm water
- Knead until soft and roll out
- Put in a warm place to rise approx. twice in size.
- Glaze with milk or egg white.
- Bake at 350F until done.