Fried Dumpling , or as Jamaicans like to call it "Johnny Cake," is like the bread to many Jamaican dishes. It is used to "sop" up the drippings from the ackee and salt fish or the mackarel rundown. It is a very simple dish to make.
Ingredients2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water or milk to bind flour
cooking oil to fry
- Mix flour baking powder and salt in a medium bowl with a whisk. Bind the flour with warm water or milk
- When it comes together remove bowl and knead.
- If preparing for soup or stew, spoonfuls can be dropped for 15-20 minutes (stop here)! If frying, divide dough in 2, roll into a 6x2 inch shape.
- Put on a cutting board and cut in 1/2 inch diagonals.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry, about 5 mins. per side till golden