Okay, Jerk Chicken is a Jamaican delicacy. You can actually jerk anything, chicken, pork, shrimp and the list goes on.
The secret is of course in the Jerk Sauce.
One of the main ingredients being the "allspice berries." (pimento). The combination with the nutmeg, cinnamon, and other spices really bring out the flavor in the meat. The chicken above is a Jamaican chicken, which has an interesting breast structure.
This is a typical barbecue jerk pit. No little barbecue grill for a typical Jamaicans.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon Dried Thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground sage
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Garlic powder or fresh
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 3/4 cup White Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Orange juice
- 1 Lime juice
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper (habanero)
- 3 Green onions -- finely chopped
- 1 cup Onion -- finely chopped
- 4 to 6 chicken breasts